The journey to being published. Theory. Practice. Practice. Practice. Science Fiction. Fantasy. Pop Culture. Life.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

High

I just put the finishing touches on a new story, which clocks in at just over 4,000 words. I don't often write short stories, so this high of accomplishment is rare.

Maybe I should. This feels pretty freakin' awesome.

I consciously pushed my boundaries with this piece, which ended up somewhere in the realm of YA science fiction. That's not normally my schtick (although, clearly, writing YA is my preference). It was challenging to work with technology, instead of magic, and to write characters in secluded spaces instead of expansive environments.

All in all I'm quite happy with the result. I'm also much indebted to my Toolbox friends who took the time in the wee hours of the night to read over it.

Next up is some tutoring, and then hopefully I'll be able to bang out 800 words in my YA novel. That being said, I reached my weekly limit with this story yesterday... ahead of the curve? I think so!

No comments:

Post a Comment