The journey to being published. Theory. Practice. Practice. Practice. Science Fiction. Fantasy. Pop Culture. Life.

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

NASFIC 2010


My first con is officially over, and I'm still processing all that occurred! NASFiC 2010 was held in Raleigh, NC and attended by about 700 people, including five of us from Taos.

I arrived very early Thursday, August 5th and managed to catch the tail-end of a mini-Taos reunion. After a solid nap, we went and heard Tom Doyle, Mary Robinette Kowal and Matt Rotundo read from their various works. All were very good, and all taught me something about storytelling.

Thursday evening began the "meet-and-greets" (since the Mariott would not let us have suite parties). These were not at all like I was expecting. The atmosphere was decidedly casual; you could pretty much drop into any conversation. Alcohol flowed freely, and the pros mixed with the fans. I loved it.

Friday was spent hopping from panel to panel, all of which I enjoyed immensely. "Worst Panel Ever" is definitely my pick for the con, because they made it funny, gave great advice, and actually energized the audience. Love it!

Saturday felt much the same as the day before - panels, schmoozing, meet-and-greets. I was tired, but not exhausted. It was invigorating to meet the panelists, as well as authors and editors I had heard so much about.

I've definitely learned quite a few things (bring fun stuff for the evenings, but costumes aren't really that useful), and I'm very much looking forward to the next con!!

No comments:

Post a Comment